Saturday, June 27, 2015

The Hobbit

The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien 

LET'S GO ON AN ADVENTURE!!! (I apologize in advance for the mini-rant)

I recently acquired small, awesome copy of the Hobbit. It is my pride and joy right now. Carrying around that book has led to a lot of conversation starters. 

Random person: "What's that book! It looks really cool!"
Me: "Oh, it's the Hobbit. It's really good. You should read it."
Random person: "I don't want to. I've heard it's hard. I've seen the movies, though."

Please stop avoiding books because they're "too hard" or "too big"! The same thing happens when I try to get someone to read Harry Potter. People will say, "Those books are just so big! I don't think I could do it." You are smarter than you think you are! You have the ability to read hard things! Also, STOP JUDGING BOOKS FROM THEIR MOVIES! Don't think that just because you've seen the movie, you know the story. I haven't actually seen the Hobbit movies yet. I've heard good things, but there is always stuff left out when turning books into movies. 

The Hobbit is an amazing book about Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit. One day, Gandalf comes and tries to convince him to go on an adventure. Bilbo refuses, wanting to stay in his cozy hobbit hole. This does not stop Gandalf. He sends dwarfs over to Bilbo's hobbit hole and tells them that Bilbo will be their burglar. Long story short, Bilbo sets out on an adventure with them.

You really need to read this book. If you are taking honors next year, I'm pretty sure you read it in Mr. Carter's class. That is something you should be looking forward to. The Hobbit was one of the best books I've read in a long time.

On to Lord of the Rings!

No comments:

Post a Comment